Mushroom and Spinach Smothered Chicken
4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
2 large hand fulls of fresh spinach
1/2 an onion, chopped
8oz sliced mushrooms
4oz cream cheese
4 garlic cloves, chopped
4 TBSP oil (coconut or olive)
1/2 stick butter
salt/pepper/garlic powder to taste
4 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Put chicken into the pan and sprinkle both sides with salt/pepper/garlic powder. Bake for 16 minutes or until thermometer reads 180F
- In a saute pan add 2 TBSP oil and chopped onions. Let them cook for a couple of minutes until golden. Add chopped garlic cloves and Spinach. Everything will wilt down. Once they are all sauteed together add the cream cheese and stir slowly until cream cheese is melted. Set aside.
- In same pan or new one melt butter and oil together. Add sliced mushrooms. Cook until browned...add some salt. Once cooked down set aside.
- Remove chicken from oven and smother with creamed spinach mix. Add the mushrooms. Finally top with Provolone cheese.
- Return to oven to melt the cheese. This will be a couple of minutes. Once it is melted I turn the broiler on and let it sit for a couple more minutes to make the cheese brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven and dish onto plates. We served ours with brown rice and green beans.